Monday, February 21, 2022

Happy Anniversary to Me!


The word "anniversary" conjures up a variety of emotions for me. An anniversary is the date on which an event took place, or an institution was founded in a previous year. The term may also refer to the commemoration or celebration of a milestone event.

In actuality, remembrances can be happy, notably a wedding anniversary, and or sad, like the date of a loved one’s passing. Some are significant, such as tenure at a job, or adoption of a child, and others are difficult to face; dates such as Pearl Harbor Day (December 7, 1941), November 22, 1963, and sadly September 11, 2001.

Then there are the private milestones, shared with a significant other, or few close associates: honoring first dates, sports accomplishments and “gotcha” days. Those in 12-Step programs mark sobriety, either publicly or privately. Facebook even sends an annual reminder of the date you joined or accepted a friend request.

Six years ago yesterday, I walked into Weight Watchers, now WW, with achy knees, 14 pounds over “lifetime goal” of 130. Three months late, I made lifetime and kept going. Eventually I settled in at 117 pounds. From that date in May 2016, I have never exceeded my original goal weight. Surgery saw me go down to 114, and unemployment has seen my weight increase past my comfort level, but well below goal, because I refuse to let that happen!

Despite the ups and downs, I continue working out, tracking, and scanning.  I make my tried-and-true recipes, try new foods and I go to meetings.

I am using the tools I've learned from leaders (now called coaches) and peers, to get back where I need to be. At 61, I feel proud that I weigh less than at 31. I made lifetime initially in the Spring of 1993. Since then there have been fluctuations, where I gained and lost, due to children, illnesses, and surgery.

Over the last three decades, I dealt with death, job loss, COVID-19 quarantine, and life’s other stresses. On February 20, 2016, I stepped into my local studio, and started my weight-loss journey for the last time. I re-achieved lifetime May 28, 2016, coming in one pound under my goal weight, and haven’t looked back!

Use this link to join now and get a free month of membership.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment