Thursday, February 3, 2022

Unspoken Words

Two policemen died in New York City last month. Assassinated by a career criminal during a domestic violence call. Each left behind grieving family to cope. A widow, parents, siblings, and a scores of fellow law enforcement officers who face similar dangers every day. Imagine going to work one day, and not coming home?

Across our nation, people shared the grief of these young centurions. Hired to protect our lives while keeping their home-life intact. Social media was adorned with black draped police shields and thousands of people stood witness to the gut-wrenching processions, leaving the hospital, arriving at St. Patrick’s Cathedral and finally the arrival at each cemetery.

The most emotional part had to be the images of the bereaved. The inconsolable sister of Officer Wilbert Mora (whose last act of courage was donating his organs to save the lives of five people) and Officer Rivera’s widow, dressed in black, choking back tears, to bravely deliver her eulogy before thousands of mourners who she never met. Her personal thoughts, broadcast on live television.

What caught me off-guard were the words of Dominique Luzuriaga, the newlywed bride and now grieving widow of Jason Rivera. She described the last moments she and her 22-year-old husband spent together on the day he died and how they had been fighting before Rivera left to for the 32nd Precinct for his evening shift. A deeply personal and relatable incident which is repeated in households across the nation.

“This Friday was different. We had an argument; you know it’s hard being a cop’s wife sometimes. It’s hard being patient when plans were canceled or we would go days without seeing each other,” she said.

They were arguing because she did not want him to use job phone while we they were together. Luzuriaga said when the two left his apartment, she decided to order an Uber instead of driving with him because she did not want to continue their spat. Did either say “I’m sorry” before parting?

“You asked me if ‘you are sure that you don’t want me to take you home. It might be the last ride I give you.’ I said ‘no’ and that was probably the biggest mistake I ever made.”

As she stood at the pulpit and gathered her composure, she spoke to her husband. “I know I drove you crazy saying I love you so many times that you would stop replying I love you more.”

Hopefully, she was able to tell him “I love you” before he left the apartment? Who knows, but there are two lessons to take from this tragedy. The first is advise we have heard countless times. Never go to bed (or leave the scene of an argument) before it is settled with, I’m sorry; and lastly, you can never say I love you too many times!

No comments:

Post a Comment