Monday, April 4, 2022

Effective Customer Service is A Lost Art


In the age of self-checkout registers, and automated phone banks, it seems that customer service is a lost art. While working with the Rockland County YMCA, I was fortunate to participate in "Integrity Training", an in-depth course on customer retention.

Fundraising and sales are very similar. In both, you must win over the Listener, with a compelling Pitch or Case for support. There is a lot of competition for those dollars, so your work begins when you gain the new supporter/customer.

Those first few minutes can Make A Difference between the long-time supporter, who may evolve in to a committee member, and/or board member, or returning Shopper to your Store.

Recently, I had an experience with an online/retail operation. My frustration was skyrocketing. As my kids say, "nothing is easy."

So, trying to buy a pair of high-end sunglasses, using some GIFT cards I had EARNED from surveys was not going to be easy. After looking in a Bricks and MORTAR store, I went online to the Sunglass Hut website to purchase the item.

When the form of payment was rejected, I called the customercare number and explained my dilemma. They were of no help, so I called the retail company store (26 miles away) and was assured I could use the cards in the Store. However, I was also eligible for a 12% rebate from Rakuten. I did not want to lose that additional savings!I had attempted my purchase no less than eight times, so when I called the store again (four total calls), I was told the glasses were on hold, and "come on down." He would help me.

Upon arrival, I learned he was gone for the day, and the manager on duty, could not help me purchase them online for an immediate pickup. Even if they were shipped to my home, I would lose the rebate. Nor were they able to use the forms of payment (Tremendous gift cards) I had on hand.

Cynical as I am, I went to my car and activated another gift card, and returned to the store, with a $20 coupon, and two Valid gift cards; I finally purchased the item with no out-of-pocket costs.

The on-duty manager was very nice, and I told her how I was not mad at her, but I was frustrated that I was losing a $20 rebate (and the only reason I was splurging on these sunglasses was they were costing me nothing!)

I took a chance and emailed the customer service at Rakuten, since they had always been responsive and helpful in the past. Within 15 minutes I got a reply to send the receipt; they saw my attempts. The next morning they had credited my account anyway!

I am now the proud owner of a pair of Rayban Sun Optics (I) Ltd, sunglasses, thanks to excellent CustomerService.com. As an upper #management employee, these are the stories that made me proud to be a #servantleader!

#banks #fundraising #training #experience #help #sales #customerservice #retail

You can join Rakuten with this link:
https://lnkd.in/dZMATWu6

No comments:

Post a Comment