Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Living the Dream

 

We all have our Dreams. Those we long for when we are Awake, and those Manufactured by our Minds, while we sleep. As I child, I fantasized about being a Princess. I never really knew what Royalty did. In the The Walt Disney Company movies, they wore beautiful Clothes, a Diamond tiara, lived in sparking Fun Palaces and had a Prince Charming to take care of their needs. I even had a cat named Princess.

It would be easy, right?

Sadly, there were no princes lurking in my suburban NY high school, classes on royalty, or instructions on how to become a Monarch.

When maturity set in, I focused on the dreams created from my heart, not my subconscious. I aspired to become the female Red Smith (a NYTimes.com Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist
). I set out to become a writer, and eventually a mother.

Beginning with my senior year at Rutgers University, I was able to spend over five years working for the Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK newspaper chain. Eventually, that lifestyle of working nights and weekends didn't Synchronize with my dreams of a Family life, and I transformed myself into a Public Relations professional. A few years later, we welcomed the first of my three sons.

Over the years, I continued to set personal and professional goals. I adapted to the changes; I retooled my talents and took classes at the Foundation Center to become a grant writer, event planner, graphic designer, and added speech writing, social media, and other aspects of non-profit leadership to my tool belt. But I continued to write on the side. I was living the dream.

Eventually, I awoke. I had ascended to a leadership role in a nonprofit and loved everything I did. I no longer pined to become a Princess or having someone take care of me. I was taking care of three kids and the at-risk and undeserved constituents served by my agency.

Now, many years later, I am dreaming again. Searching for a GLASS slipper. Dreaming of a new opportunity. One where I can use my talents as a writer and my passion to help those less fortunate in a position where I can take care of myself.

And by the way, I sold another article yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment