Monday, March 14, 2022

The Starfish Story- You Can Make A Difference

Can you honestly say, "I made a difference to that one?"

The child who watched a parent endure substance abuse, domestic violence, and homelessness. Or was the victim of regular beatings himself. And stayed in touch, years after the child age-out of the system.

The teen who found solace in playing basketball in a youth center, or opted for a summer camp program, rather than participating in gang violence, crime, or illegal drugs.

The senior who struggled with vision loss and could no longer do the most basic independent living skills alone.

The peer of your child, who sat alone in a gymnasium because his parent could not attend his sporting event, so you went over and encouraged him, gave him water, PBJ, or a ride home. Maybe you volunteered at an animal shelter, collected money, food, and school supplies for those who couldn't afford them, or sent care packages to our deployed soldiers.

 None of these actions took away from my job, children, or my time. Yet each left an indelible mark on my heart and has motivated me to continue to pursue a career in social services. Despite my frustrations, I want to make a difference, even if it to just one starfish.


I know I can't do it alone, but as Mother Teresa once said, “together we can do great things.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment